Pool 1 Norwich City 3

Last updated : 28 November 2007 By The Seasider
Huckerby and Gorkss
Huckerby and Gorkss
The Seasiders had plenty of chances - they even missed a penalty - and they contributed some entertaining football. Entertainment may win admirers but not games.

Norwich, assembled at a vast cost compared to Blackpool, were prepared to bide their time and wait for the home side to make mistakes.

After an indifferent opening period Norwich scored from their first corner of the game.

A quick counter-attack caught Blackpool short at the back and the home side managed to block two shots before conceding the corner.

Fatally they left Dion Dublin free at the near post and he had the easiest of opportunities to turn in Luke Chadwick's cross.

Dublin became the villain four minutes later and was lucky to stay on the field when he chopped down Paul Rachubka as the Pool keeper was ushering the ball out for a goal-kick. Dublin got a yellow card for what was a crude challenge.

Matty Pattison and Paul Rachubka
Matty Pattison and Paul Rachubka
Blackpool equalised on 36 minutes through Bartosz Slusarski. Gary Taylor-Fletcher got in a shot from 18 yards out which somehow squeezed under the body of David Marshall with the aid of a touch by Slusarski.

Both sides threw on attackers in a bid to break the deadlock after the break.

Wes Hoolahan caused a lot of problems for the City defence including a shot which hit the post, but as the game went on he tended to over-elaborate.

On 73 minutes Blackpool's substitute Keigan Parker gave away possession cheaply in midfield. Blackpool conceded a corner and this time it was Martin Taylor who was left unmarked and he steered a header into the bottom corner.

Marshall saves Wes Penalty
Marshall saves Wes Penalty
Seven minutes later Blackpool were awarded a penalty when Andy Welsh was felled by Jon Otsemobor. Hoolahan's spot-kick was saved by Marshall. Hoolahan got to the rebound, but his shot was blocked as was another effort from Andy Morrell.

City grabbed their third a minute into injury time when Dublin ended a breakaway move with a decisive low drive.