Pool 0 Posh 1

Last updated : 17 March 2013 By INOIT

IMG_5749a.JPGKane Ferdinand headed his first goal for Peterborough as Darren Ferguson's men maintained momentum in their npower Championship survival bid with a 1-0 win over Blackpool.

Posh are now unbeaten in five matches - a well timed purple patch as a number of their fellow strugglers also continue to pick up vital points.

They lie one point from safety and just four points behind Blackpool, who could not build on their first win under Paul Ince at Watford last weekend.

Pool dominated a first half overshadowed by a serious head injury sustained by their veteran midfielder Barry Ferguson, but Ferdinand put United ahead with a simple finish in the 45th minute.

Dwight Gayle and Lee Tomlin might have added to Peterborough's advantage after half-time before Blackpool's late rally failed to truly threaten.

Ludo Sylvestre and Nathan Delfouneso were rewarded for impressive second-half cameos in Blackpool's win at Vicarage Road, coming into the starting line-up in place of Neal Eardley and Matt Derbyshire, while Isaiah Osbourne made his first appearance in midfield for a month at the expense of Angel Martinez.

Striker Tyrone Barnett replaced Danny Swanson in the only change to the Peterborough side that drew 1-1 with Leeds in midweek.

Blackpool winger Matt Phillips drew a sharp early save from Posh goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik, firing a hard shot into the ground from an acute angle.

It was a bright start from the hosts and Tom Ince was just short of finding a decisive touch when Alex Baptiste flashed across goal in the ninth minute.

Pool top scorer Ince then dragged wide under pressure from United centre-back Michael Bostwick having been played in by a beautifully weighted Phillips pass.

Tomlin had Peterborough's first attempt but Seasiders defender Gary MacKenzie bravely got his face in the way of a powerfully struck effort.

IMG_5750a.JPGA far more severe head injury occurred midway through the half when Osbourne inadvertently caught team-mate Ferguson with his boot.

Eight minutes of treatment followed for the prone former Scotland international, who was eventually taken from the field on a stretcher to applause from all sides of the ground.

Olejnik produced two more splendid stops as Sylvestre and Phillips went for the spectacular before Peterborough took the lead against the run of play.

Jack Payne chipped towards Tommy Rowe in the area, whose header back across goal was nodded home by Ferdinand.

Blackpool could not respond during nine minutes of first-half stoppage time and Peterborough assumed the ascendancy following a quiet start to the second period.

Matt Gilks was scrambling in the home goal as Gayle's rising shot did just too much and rattled the stanchion behind the goal.

In the 67th minute, Tomlin eased past a tired challenge from Osbourne to shoot but Gilks saved well with his legs.

Pool belatedly piled on the pressure and, with nine minutes to play, Phillips picked up a loose ball only to see his goal-bound effort strike Delfouneso.

Source: PA