Blackpool 3 Huddersfield Town 1

Last updated : 25 November 2006 By Seasider

Blackpool completed the double over Huddersfield Town in a week to remember at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders' FA Cup victory was followed by a more comfortable league victory which further endorsed their hopes of a play-off place.

Manager Simon Grayson says he intends to further strengthen his squad.

It has been a remarkable turnaround in fortunes as just two months ago fans wanted his head as the Blackpool side were then stranded second from bottom.

It took 20 minutes of stalemate between two well matched outfits before Blackpool asserted their authority in midfield courtesy of the ingenuity of Wes Hoolahan and David Fox.

The duo settled down quickly in the appalling gale-lashed conditions with Hoolahan showing why Grayson will get him to put pen to paper on a new contract this week.

In the 26th minute Hoolahan put Adrian Forbes free and his clever through ball to Keigan Parker saw the Scottish striker notch his fifth of the season from an acute angle.

Four minutes later Hoolahan toyed with the Town defence before slipping the ball into the path of Keith Southern and his rising drive from 18 yards out crashed in off the underside of the bar.

Two minutes into first-half injury time Blackpool's defence was put under pressure for almost the first time in the game.

A pass from Andy Booth caused problems with two home defenders mis-kicking and Gary Taylor-Fletcher was on hand to prod home.

Town fans' hopes that the goal would lift their side fell flat three minutes into the second half when Parker was put through and his shot was clearly goalbound before John McCombe produced a brilliant goalline clearance.

However, in the 60th minute Blackpool re-asserted themselves and a flowing five-man move ended with Hoolahan crossing to Andy Morrell who steered home from ten yards out.

It was not the end of the action as Terriers manager Peter Jackson added Luke Beckett to the fray and his side began to bombard the Blackpool goal with high crosses.

Rhys Evans saved superbly from Booth and then Morrell turned defender to head a Beckett effort off the line.