Blackpool 2 Everton 1

Last updated : 04 August 2009 By The Seasider
With the south side of the stadium construction well under way removing the terrible void that used to blight that end of the ground a huge 8,000+ crowd were treated to a marvellous entertaining game of football on a perfect pitch. New boss Holloway became an instant hit with the fans as he signalled for the drummers to get behind the team from the kick-off. The Seasiders certainly held their own in the early stages and when David Vaughan slipped his man and darted into the box, his low drive gave keeper Tim Howard no chance and Pool had an early lead. Jason Euell then went agonisingly close after a superb move when his close range header which was seemingly on target then agonisingly hit he woodwork much to Everton's relief as they were being pulled apart by Blackpool's lively movement on the ball. Blackpool were playing some great passing football orchestrated by Charlie Adam and backed by an ethusiastic home crowd. It took an unfortunate mistake by Pool keeper Mark Halstead following a corner which allowed Jo to eventually poke a loose ball home to equalise a scrappy goal at close range for the Toffeemen. Blackpool however picked up where they left off and forced a defensive error from Everton's back line and Euell was sent quickly through to slot a powerful low shot beyond Howard as Pool restored their lead.

Seaside fans then rose to applaud the team off at half-time with the score at 2-1 and as expected Ollie made wholesale changes at half-time. With the stadium's poor PA it was difficult to hear the players names but if the first-half had fans enthusing for more the second-half did not disappoint as Blackpool's replacement team played with fabulous pace and energy in a top class display of attacking football which constantly harried Everton's defence. Clearly some of Ollies' trialists were keen to put on a show and the fans were treated to 30 minutes of superb end to end football as chances went begging for both sides. It was only in the final 15 minutes did Everton's premiership class begin to show but some fine defending prevented them finding an equaliser. If this was the lift the fans and team were looking for then it came tonight in a very memorable game that left fans buzzing as they emptied from the stands.