Blackpool were denied a first league victory over Rangers in 38 years

Last updated : 17 January 2010 By Edited by The Seasider

A 25-yard shot from Matthew Connolly gave QPR a share of the spoils as Blackpool were denied a first league victory over Rangers in 38 years.

Harford said: "This is a difficult place to come to. Blackpool started really well and controlled the game in the first half.

"But we had a chat at half-time and we started to create some excellent opportunities.

Harford added: "I think what this club needs after a difficult time is a period of stability.

"The board has asked me to take charge of the first team and I shall continue to do that."

Blackpool started the strongest and were ahead after nine minutes, Brett Ormerod pulling back a pinpoint cross which Scotland international Charlie Adam blasted into the roof of the net for his 10th goal of the season.

Two minutes later Ormerod could have made it two but he scooped Gary Taylor-Fletcher's cross wide with only the keeper to beat.

The Seasiders dominated the first half but their attacks frequently petered out on the edge of the penalty area and Rangers keeper Carl Ikeme did not have a shot to save for the rest of the half.

Rangers came alive after the break with Spurs loanee Adel Taarabt a constant danger to the home defence, and the visitors drew level in controversial circumstances 10 minutes after the restart.

Referee Trevor Kettle provoked fury among the home supporters when he deemed Seasiders defender Neal Eardley had handled a shot from Taarabt.

Midfielder Taarbat - QPR's outstanding performer - stepped up to nonchalantly dispatch the resulting spot-kick and cancel out Adam's opener.

Hogan Ephraim then fired wide for QPR but Blackpool regained the lead with 13 minutes remaining when Taylor-Fletcher rifled home Keith Southern's low right-wing cross.

Yet Rangers were not to be denied and were level in the 84th minute when Connolly hit a left-foot volley which flew into the top corner from 20 yards.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway said: "We got a point but I felt we deserved three of them.

"However, to look at the game objectively, Rangers are a good side with a lot of talent. It just shows what a long way we have come. When I arrived here we were the bookies' favourite to go down.

"I thought the penalty was a bit harsh and I have had a bit of banter with the ref about it but after what happened at our last home game, when I got sent to the stand, I decided to control myself."

Source: Team Talk

Source: Team Talk