10 Yrs ago Clyde 2 Blackpool 1

Last updated : 30 July 2011 By INOIT

Aussie teenager Mark Tsiorlas would be given the opportunity to overcome his nerves after an uncertain performance on Wednesday, and having trained with the team, the management were hopeful that he can show more of his potential up front


 Clyde 2 Blackpool 1

The game proved to be a real drab affair, the only thing that got the crowd going was the 3 officials. Clyde took an 11th minute lead through Lee Hinds despite being the best part of 3 yards off-side, a fact that the linesman was unaware of.

Clyde had the better possession for of the 1st half. Pool were unable to get hold of the ball and when they did managed to loose possession very easily.

McKenzie came on for Coid after an appalling tackle from the Clyde's no. 10 which resulted in Hughes being booked!

Blackpool's best chance of the day happened when Clarkson went on a good run which took him to the edge of the area. He played the ball to Murphy who should really have shot but instead passed it back to Clarkson on the edge of the 6 yard box, but The Ghost shot straight at the keeper when it seemed easier to score, and the chance was gone.

Half time saw Hills, Wellens and Simpson replace of Collins, Clarkson and Jamie Milligan. Pool started much brighter and created more chances, mainly down the left, with Hills making some good runs. Again though, the Seasiders were unable to keep possession for any significant time. Clyde took a 2-0 lead after a most bizarre incident - Reid clearly pulled the shirt of Clyde no. 10, but the referee played on. Barnes took a goal kick, and play continued deep in to Clyde's half, almost in the 18 yard box when suddenly the referee stopped play and consulted his linesman who was still standing by Blackpool's bye-line. After a short consultation, the referee brought play back some 90 seconds after the incident and gave a penalty! Barnes dived the right way but was unable to keep the ball out, and as you can imagine, Pool players were incensed and even McMahon had to be told to keep calm by the referee.

There was little else in way of goal mouth action from both sides, Simpson having a couple of shots saved, until Brett Ormerod pulled a consolation back for Pool close to the final whistle.

Overall a disappointing game, but it was really spoiled by the referee who wouldn't let any physical challenge go unpunished with a free kick, and obviously didn't know the meaning of advantage.

Team: Barnes, O'Kane, Jaczcsun, Hughes, Reid, J Milligan (Hills), Coid (MacKenzie), Collins (Wellens), Clarkson (Simpson), Murphy, Ormerod.